- Lincoln’s Presidency
- HG 206 History and Sociology of the American Family
- Seminar on World War II
- Ordinary People in Extraordinary Times—Biography as History
Social & Behavioral Sciences
Contact Information Available
- Doctor of Arts (History) Carnegie Mellon University – 1975
- Master of Arts (History) Carnegie Mellon University – 1972
- Bachelor of Arts cum laude (History) Adelphi University – 1970
- Institute for Educational Management (2008) Harvard University
- Middle States Association Higher Education Commission (2006-07) Review Team Chair for Hood College
- Distinguished Associate (1996 - 2008) Center for Character Education, Duquesne University
- Kappa Delta Pi International Education Honor Society (1992) Elmira College
- Visiting Scholar (Lent & Easter Terms 1989-90) University of Cambridge (United Kingdom)
- Visiting Lecturer (Fall 1986) University of Zagreb (Croatia)
- Wm. L. Dunn Award for Outstanding Teaching & Scholarly Promise (1982) Lake Forest College
- Kappa Phi Kappa National Education Honor Society (1982) Lake Forest College
- Phi Sigma Tau International Philosophy Honorary Society (1981) Lake Forest College
- Henry Buhl, Jr. Foundation Fellowship (1973 - 1974) Carnegie Mellon University
- Phi Alpha Theta International History Honor Society (1973) Carnegie Mellon University
- “Building A Positive Classroom Environment,” in An Integrated Approach to Character Education, Timothy Rusnak, ed. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage Publications/Corwin Press (1998).
- "Teaching as Modeling: The Impact of Teacher Behaviors upon Student Character Formation," in The Educational Forum (Winter 1996).
- "Responding to the Socially Motivated Behaviors of Early Adolescents: Considerations for Classroom Management," in Adolescence (Fall 1991); selected for inclusion in Annual Editions: Educational Psychology 94/95. 9th ed. Guilford, CT: Dushkin Publishing, 1994.
- "Using Computers to Improve the Teaching of Writing Skills," in Education Newsfile [A University of Cambridge Educational Quarterly] (Summer 1991).
- "Bush Should Chart a New Course in Education," in Spectrum (Summer 1989).
- "The Best Education for Prospective Teachers is the Liberal Arts," in The Presbyterian Outlook (April 1986).
- "The Impact of Cognitive Maturation upon the Social-Emotional Development of Early Adolescent Students,” in Private School Quarterly (Summer 1985).
- "Why Study Teacher Education at a Liberal Arts College?" in The College Digest (Fall 1985).
- "Responding to Self-Concept Disturbance Among Early Adolescents: A Psychosocial View for Educators," Adolescence (Fall 1983).
- "Developing and Evaluating Library Research Skills in Education: A Model for Course-Integrated Bibliographic Instruction," in Reference Quarterly (Spring 1983) with Joann H. Lee; translated into Serbo-Croatian by Sinisa Maricic and published by the University of Zagreb Press in Pedagoski rad 40 (1985), The National Pedagogical Journal of Croatia.
- "Developmental Tasks and Middle School Education: Considerations for Program Development," in Transescence: The Journal on Emerging Adolescent Education (Fall 1982).
- Exploring Social Issues. Food: Historical, Economic and Global Perspectives. A Course for Secondary Students. Rosemont, IL: National Dairy Council (1981) with Ronald E. Galbraith & others.
- "Testing Adolescent Students: Problems & Possibilities," in The History & Social Science Teacher (Spring 1980) with Neil Kogan.
- "From Junior High to Middle School," in The Middle School Journal (February 1979) with William E. McDonald.
- "The Search for Pure Water in Pittsburgh: The Urban Response to Water Pollution, 1893-1914," in The Western Pennsylvania Historical Journal 34 (January 1977).
- Exploring Values Education: Finding the Right Approach for Your Students. Pittsburgh: Allegheny Intermediate Unit (1975) with Ronald E. Galbraith & others.
- American Youth: Past and Present. A History Curriculum for Secondary Students. Pittsburgh: Family Life Curriculum Project, Carnegie Mellon University (1974).
- President, Cazenovia College; Cazenovia, New York (2000 - Present)
- Campus Executive Officer/Campus Dean and Professor of History, University of Wisconsin-Sheboygan (1996 - 2000)
- Academic Dean (Chief Academic Officer) and Professor of History & Education, Kendall College; Evanston, Illinois (1994 - 1996)
- Charles A. Dana Professor and Director of Education, Elmira College; Elmira, New York (1991 - 1994)
- Department Chair, Department of Education, Lake Forest College; Lake Forest, Illinois (1979 - 1991)
- Associate Professor of Education, with Tenure, Lake Forest College (1983 - 1991)
- Assistant Professor of Education, Lake Forest College (1979 - 1983)
- Lecturer in Teacher Development, School of Education, University of Pittsburgh (1977 - 1979)
- Middle School Classroom Teacher (1975 - 1979) and Middle School Team Leader (1977 - 1979), Falk Laboratory School, University of Pittsburgh
- Curriculum Research Associate, Social Studies Curriculum Center, Carnegie Mellon University (1972 - 1975)
- Classroom Teacher, Hauppauge (New York) Middle School (1970 - 1971)
- Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities (2000 - )
- Government Affairs Team (2005 - )
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (2000 - )
- Committee on Student Aid Policy (2003- 2006; 2007- 2010)
- Board of Directors, Greater Cazenovia Area Chamber of Commerce (2000 - )
- Founding Member, Board of Directors; Cazenovia Area Community Development Association (2004 - 2008); Vice President (2004 - 2008)
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools; Commission on Higher Education Accreditation Team Chair (2006 - 2007)
- Board of Trustees, WCNY Public Television & Classic FM Radio in Central New York State (2002 - 2008)
- Corporate/Foundation Committee, John Michael Kohler Art Center, Sheboygan (1999 - 2000)
- Board of Directors; Sheboygan County Historical Museum (1999 - 2000)
- Board of Trustees, University of Wisconsin-Sheboygan Foundation (1996 - 2000)
- Sheboygan County Chamber of Commerce (1996- 2000) Education Committee
- Sheboygan County Labor - Management Council (1996- 2000)
- Character Education Task Force; Sheboygan Area School District (1997 -1999)
- Board of Directors; Community Human Services, Inc.; a Chicago not-for-profit community improvement and employment training organization (1988- 98); Board Chair (1990-92); Vice Chair (1994-97)