- Assistant Professor, Chemistry
- SM121 General Chemistry I
- SM122 General Chemistry II
- SM221 Organic Chemistry
- SM116 Physical Science
- SM141 Chemistry and Society
- SM-101F-01 Science is Fun!
- SM 100D Fundamentals of College Mathematics
Humanities & Natural Sciences
Contact Information Available
Eckel Hall 308
Dr. Venera Jouraeva started teaching at Cazenovia College in the fall of 2012. Prior to coming to Cazenovia, she taught a variety of chemistry courses at SUNY Oswego, Kutztown University, and Capital University, and worked as the technical director of an environmental testing lab. Dr. Jouraeva’s research focuses on developing new soil and water remediation methods. She is also interested in leading undergraduate and high school student research and in integrating humor and other innovative educational approaches and technologies into her classes.
- Ph.D. and M.S., Environmental Science/Environmental Chemistry, SUNY-ESF, Syracuse, NY
- M.S. and B.S., Physical Chemistry/Chemical Education, Kazan Federal University, Kazan, Russia
- Jouraeva V.A., 2007. “Reducing air pollutants while preserving the national identity of Russian landscape architecture.” In conference proceedings: Globalization and Landscape Architecture: Issues for Education and Practice, St. Petersburg State Forest Technical Academy, Russia and Lincoln University, NZ.
- Venera A. Jouraeva, David L. Johnson, John P. Hassett, David J. Nowak, Natalia A. Shipunova, and Dana Barbarosa, 2006. “Role of sooty mold fungi in accumulation of fine-particle-associated PAHs and metals on deciduous leaves.” Environmental Research, Volume 102, Issue 3, November, 272 – 282.
- Jouraeva V.A., 2005. “Role of sooty mold fungi in accumulation of fine-particle-associated PAHs and metals on deciduous leaves and in degradation of PAHs in soil.” SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Doctoral Dissertation, ISBN-13: 9780542096792.
- Jouraeva, V.A., Johnson, D.L., Hassett, J.P., & Nowak, D.J., 2002. “Differences in accumulation of PAHs and metals on leaves of Tilia x euchlora and Pyrus calleryana.” Environmental Pollution 120(2), 331 – 338.
- Johnson, D.L., Nowak, D.J., & Jouraeva, V.A., 1999. “Characterizing individual particles on tree leaves using computer automated scanning electron microscopy.” Advances in Environmental Research 2 (4), 456 – 466.
- 1. “Teaching Chemistry with a Pinch of Humor.” 248th ACS National Meeting, San Francisco, CA, August 2014.
- 2. “Lessons of Environmental Stewardship.” 247th ACS National Meeting, Denver, CO, March 2014.
- 3. “Role of iron in degradation of carcinogenic and non-carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in soil contaminated with heavy metals.” Presented by Bilgenur Sirin (Syracuse Academy of Sciences Charter School senior), Advisor: Venera Jouraeva (Cazenovia College). 246th ACS National Meeting, Indianapolis, IN, September 2013.
- 4. “Degradation of Aromatic Polycyclic Hydrocarbons in Contaminated Soil Amended with Fishbone Apatite and Iron (III) oxide.” 17th Annual CNY AWMA Technical Conference, Welch Allyn Lodge, Skaneateles, NY, March, 2013.
- 5. “Degradation of PAHs in Contaminated Soil Amended with Fishbone Apatite.” Presented by Shirley Peng, Advisor: Venera Jouraeva (SUNY Oswego). NERM 2012, Rochester, NY, August 2012.
- 6. “Remediation of soil contaminated with toxic metals: Long-term effectiveness of Apatite IITM amendment.” 242nd ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Denver, CO, August 2011.
- 7. “Binding Lead in Soil” – B3 course approved by the Practicing Institute of Engineering Inc., Albany, NY. Presented at the 15th Annual Joint Air & Waste Management Association/American Industrial Hygiene Association Technical Conference, Skaneateles Falls, NY, March 2011.
- Taught a variety of chemistry and environmental science courses at SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY, 2009-2012.
- Worked as a Technical Director of Enalytic LLC, Environmental Testing Lab, East Syracuse, NY, 2007-2009.
- Taught a variety of chemistry and environmental science courses at Kutztown University, Kutztown, PA, 2005-2007.
- While in graduate school: Taught chemistry at Capital University, Columbus, OH 2003-2005
- American Chemical Society (2002– present)
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (2008-present)
- Air & Waste Management Association (2011-present)