Cazenovia, N.Y. (March 31, 2014)
– Cazenovia College officials recently announced that Margot Cheney Jacoby ’70
, a proud, involved and successful alumna, will serve as the College’s 189th Commencement speaker on Saturday, May 17, 2014
A sampling of Jacoby's accomplishments – in the field of education, at Cazenovia College, and in the greater community – is provided below.
- Accomplished and published poet
- Two-time book author:
o The Speech
– one of several Cazenovia College faculty members who co-authored a textbook on public speaking that was used in classrooms nationwide.
o Love Lives
– A touching tribute to her eldest daughter, Martha Papworth O’Neill ’00, documenting Martha’s celebration of life and her battle with cancer.
- Current College Instructor, English and Communications, Jefferson Community College
- Former Assistant Professor, Cazenovia College – taught Effective Speaking, Academic Writing, Literature, Creative Writing and more
- Former Tutor and Writing Coordinator in Cazenovia College's Academic Learning Center
- Current Vice President of the Cazenovia College Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Current Chair of the Parents Committee, Capital Campaign for Cazenovia College
- Started the Martha Papworth O’Neill Class of 2000 Memorial Scholarship at Cazenovia College, awarded to a student who exemplifies her daughter's generous and loving spirit, passion for learning and sense of social justice.
o Associate of Arts degree, Liberal Arts, Cazenovia College
o Undergraduate Workshop, University of Iowa
o Bachelor of Arts degree, English/Communications, Le Moyne College
o Professional Collegiate Certificate in English, Writing, Speech, Public Speaking and Journalism, Roanoke College
o Master of Arts degree, Liberal Studies, Hollins University, Virginia
- Member, Northern New York Chapter, American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life
- Fundraiser, Martha Papworth O’Neill Cancer Research Endowment at the Foundation for Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
Her colleagues continue to hold Margot with the greatest of fondness and respect. Her fellow alumni revel in all that she does for her alma mater. And the Cazenovia College graduates are sure to be moved by her words of wisdom and inspiration. Please mark your calendar for Saturday, May 17, 2014
– the day we all come together to celebrate the accomplishments of the Class of 2014
for more information relating to Cazenovia College's 189th Commencement ceremony.
Cazenovia College, founded in 1824, is an independent, co-educational, baccalaureate college located near Syracuse, N.Y., offering baccalaureate programs in the liberal arts and professional studies. Embracing student success as its primary mission, the College comprises a diverse yet close-knit residential community that fosters intellectual, social, and ethical growth. Our experiential and co-curricular learning opportunities and dedicated team of faculty and staff provide for an individualized educational experience that balances academic and student life. Cazenovia, named one of "America’s Best Colleges" by U.S. News & World Report, is also a national College of Distinction. For more information, visit http://www.cazenovia.edu