Cazenovia College will host the 13th Annual Wheler Conference on World Affairs
, on Wednesday, October 29
. Ms. Emma Buckhout
, Program Assistant with the Latin America Working Group in Washington, DC, will kick off the event at 9 a.m., in the Catherine Cummings Theatre at Cazenovia College.
Buckhout works on the Mexico and Borderlands programs for Latin America Working Group (LAWG), as well as serving as Fundraising Associate. Interested in Latin America and social justice work from a young age, Buckhout adopted a deep love for Mexico while volunteering for two years in Mexico City with Incarnate Word Missionaries. A Cazenovia High School graduate, she earned an honors degree in International Relations and certificate in Spanish from the University of Pennsylvania.
The conference schedule (available at www.cazenovia.edu/wheler
) also includes the following breakout panel discussions on "justice" --
- Honorable Richard Ball, Commissioner, NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets, Albany, NY
- Emma Buckhout, Program Assistant, Latin America Working Group, Washington, DC
- Cazenovia College Student Panel -- Janeen Bligen, Junior, Human Services major and Bobbi-Jo Hannan, Sophomore, Human Services major
- Thomas Driscoll, Board Member, Town of Cazenovia, NY
- Senator Joseph A. Griffo, New York State Senate, Albany, NY
- Karen Kottlar, Biology and Earth Science Teacher, West Genesee High School, Syracuse, NY
- Dr. Jennifer Williams, Adjunct Professor, Le Moyne College, Syracuse, NY
- Screening of 1982 political thriller, Missing
One of the many highlights of the day is the invitation-only luncheon that will feature the annual Sarah Webster Addresses
, given this year by Adrianna Kocak
, a senior from Thomas J. Corcoran High School, in Syracuse, NY; and Katherine Potts
, Cazenovia College sophomore and Social Science major from Jaffrey, NH. Potts is also this year's Assistant Conference Director.
All conference offerings, with the exception of the luncheon, are free and open to the public. To view the complete Wheler Conference schedule, visit www.cazenovia.edu/wheler
. For more information, contact Dr. John Robert Greene
, conference director, and the Paul J. Schupf professor of history and humanities, at 315-655-7229 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Wheler Family Conference is made possible through the support and efforts of the Wheler Family, in particular Barbara Wheler
and the late A. Gordon Wheler
, former trustees of the College. The conference is a U.S. Constitution Day event. (www.constitutioncenter.org/constitutionday