Housing Policies FAQs

Below are the answers to commonly asked questions about housing. Resident students should refer to the Student Handbook, Housing Agreement and Student Life web pages for complete information about College Regulations.   
Do I have to live on campus? (Residential Requirements)
All full-time freshmen, sophomores and juniors are required to live in College residential facilities, except for those who live within commuting distance and reside with parents, legal guardians or have been granted an exemption from the dean for student life. Some scholarships have residency requirements.
"Full-time" is defined as maintaining at least twelve (12) credit hours per semester.  A student must be enrolled full-time and maintain at least the equivalent of 12 credit hours per semester to live in College-owned or leased housing.  If a student drops below 12 credits s/he must obtain the approval of the Dean for Student Life to remain in campus housing.

Can I have a pet?
Pets are not allowed in student rooms.  The only exceptions are service animals and legal fish.  Pets that are in violation of this policy will be removed from the building immediately and students in violation of this policy will be subject to disciplinary action and be held responsible for any fees related to the removal of the pet in question. 
What appliances and electrical equipment can I have in my room?
Appliances and electrical equipment can overload the electrical capacity of residence halls and can cause serious electrical fires, wire damage, and blackouts. The following guidelines should be followed to insure safe use of electrical outlets.
  • All electrical items must be Underwriters Laboratory Approved and in good operating condition.
  • Power strips are allowed, provided they contain built-in circuit breakers. Power strips may not be plugged into other power strips.
  • Extension cords are not permitted.
  • Small appliances with exposed heating elements (i.e. some types of coffee pots, hot pots, hot plates, George Foreman grills, etc.) are not permitted in the residence halls. Cooking in rooms and hallways is not permitted by state regulations. Students are encouraged to use common residence cooking areas for the preparation of food.
  • Only one appliance per outlet may be used.
  • Due to electrical draw, refrigerators are limited in size to cube style, 1 to 1.7 cubic foot dimension units. Refrigerators must be plugged directly into a wall socket. Refrigerators must be placed in an area where they are properly ventilated (not in closets).
  • Halogen lamps are not permitted.
  • Candles, incense and open flames are not permitted in the residence halls.
  • Personal grills are not permitted in residential facilities or on College property.
  • Decorative, string lights are not permitted in student rooms under any circumstances. 
How loud are the residential facilities? 
It is expected that every resident and guest in the residence halls maintain a noise level so as to not disturb their neighbors.

As members of the Cazenovia College and Village communities, it is essential that everyone respect the needs and rights of others in these communities. It is never appropriate to blast music or scream from windows. Audio speakers may not be pointed out of windows at any time. If necessary, the College may mandate round-the-clock Quiet Hours at any time during the school year [Village Commons is an exception to this policy as that building requires round-the-clock Quiet Hours in effect every day.]

Can I have guests visit?
A "guest" is defined as any individual, whether student or non-student, who is not a resident of the residential facility they are visiting. All guests/visitors present in a residential facility after 9:00pm must be signed in. 
Guests to Cazenovia College residence halls must be at least 18 years of age and/or a registered student of the College and provide photo identification in order to be signed in by a resident. Acceptable forms of photo identification include a driver’s license, college/high school identification card, state-issued identification, passport or a military ID.
Residents seeking to have guests under the age of 18 years old must seek permission in advance of their arrival from the Office of Student Life staff member who directly oversees the residence hall in which the resident lives. Those guests must provide photo identification if they have it.

Residents hosting overnight guests must obtain the approval of their roommate(s) prior to their guests’ arrival.
Guests, whether student or non-student, may not stay overnight in a resident’s room for more than three nights in succession or three nights in one week, or exceed five nights per month.
Residents must accompany their guest(s) the entire time they are on campus.

The host assumes full responsibility for the actions of his or her guest and can be held accountable, financially and judicially, for any damage or action of their guest.
Any student may only serve as the host for two (2) guests at any given time.

Anyone found to be disruptive while a guest or found to be taking inappropriate advantage of the guest policy may be required to leave the property and/or be subject to disciplinary action by the College.

Can I stay on campus over College breaks?
Residential facilities are closed and card swipes are deactivated during official College vacations including Thanksgiving Break, Winter Intersession and Spring Break. These periods are not included in the contract. A resident occupying his/her room during a break period without authorization is subject to a fine and immediate removal from the residential facility. Under special circumstances, in order to minimize the number of facilities in use for the purpose of conserving energy and reducing operating expenses, the College reserves the right to temporarily reassign students required to be on campus during vacation periods. If a student requires housing during periods when the halls are closed, and they obtained approval form the Office of Student Life, they may be assigned to live in the area(s) denoted for Break housing.  

When the residence halls close for official College vacations, all students must vacate their rooms no later than 24 hours after completion of their last academic commitment or as designated by the Office of Student Life.

Students will not be allowed in the residential facilities while they are closed for vacations. 
What about telephone and internet access?
Residents are responsible for providing and repairing their own room telephone in the residence halls.  The telephone must be a single‑line, touch tone phone.  In addition, a SIP adapter must be obtained from ICT in order to have access to telephone service.  This hardware is provided at no charge, however if it is not returned upon your leaving campus at the completion of the year you will be assessed a replacement fee. A technician is available to check possible problems with the line itself, not individual telephones.  Cazenovia College cannot be held responsible for phones that are incompatible with the College telephone system. Collect calls may not be accepted.  Any student making or attempting to make fraudulent telephone calls will pay the cost of these calls, a fine, costs of collection and be subject to disciplinary action.  Fraudulent use includes unauthorized calls placed from or charged to any telephone.  Fraudulent calls placed from or charged to College telephones are subject to criminal prosecution and/or disciplinary action by the College.
Can a College official enter by room?
If it is deemed necessary in aid of the basic responsibilities of the institution regarding discipline and the maintenance of an educational environment, a room may be searched and the occupant(s) required to open personal belongings including but not limited to drawers, closets, refrigerators, suitcases, etc., for inspection.

What happens if something is damaged?
With your cooperation, our campus and its residences will continue to be safe, attractive, and enjoyable. Any existing damages must be listed on the “Room/Suite/Apartment Condition Report,” and should be reported to the Student Life Staff.  Students are held responsible for damages they cause to the room, the room’s contents, and damages made in public areas of the residences. Students are also responsible for damages in these areas that have been caused by their guests. 

The College will not raise housing charges for all students in order to pay for damages in common areas (stairwells, hallways, bathrooms, lobby, and recreation rooms). Rather, it will bill those members of a living area (suite, wing, floor, building) when the responsible individual(s) is not identified.

It is the responsibility of all residents to exercise their influence in their community to prevent damage or require responsible individuals to pay. Excessive damages to rooms or areas may result in disciplinary action and possible non-renewal of the housing contract.

Download the Damage Billing document (pdf) for more information.

What if I need something repaired?
The maintenance staff is available 24 hours a day. This staff is responsible for the maintenance of all campus buildings and grounds. Emergency repairs should be reported to Campus Services at 315-655-7227 on Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. During after-hours and weekends, please contact Campus Safety at 315-655-7271.

Non-emergency repairs can be reported by submitting a “footprint” to Campus Services. To submit a “footprint” send an e-mail detailing the necessary repairs including nature of the repair and location to cssupport@cazenovia.edu.
What is the process for checking in?  
New and returning students should arrive as notified to complete the check-in process. Unless otherwise approved by the Office of Student Life, no student may move into the residential facilities before their designated date. Upon initial check-in, all residential students are required to inspect their assigned space and complete a Room/Suite/Apartment Condition Report (RCR) of the furnishings and condition of the space.   An RCR must be completed each time a student moves into or out of a residential facility room. Failure to do so will result in a fine for an unapproved room change.  The resident(s) of the space assigned shall be responsible for any loss, damage, repair or replacement of the furnishings and the conditions of the space during the term of occupancy.

What is the process for checking out?  
Failure to check out of your room in a proper manner will result in an improper check-out charge. 

When vacating your residential space, all trash should be taken to the designated trash room; rooms should be cleaned and vacuumed by the resident(s).  Failure to do so and/or failure to leave the room in an acceptable condition will result in monetary charges equally divided between each resident and/or forfeiture of their room choice within the College for the subsequent year.
If the public areas in the hall (i.e. lounges, hallways, etc.) are left in disrepair, a charge for returning the public area to its original condition will be equally divided amongst all residents in that hall area.  All personal belongings must be removed from the assigned space upon departure.  All personal belongings not removed from the assigned space within 10 days of departure (either through voluntary separation or dismissal), will be disposed of by the College.

The College will not assume responsibility for belongings left in the assigned space/hallway, or any other College property. 

Students not completing degree requirements in the spring must vacate their residential space no later than 24 hours after their last academic commitment.

The College does not provide summer storage of any kind.  Students in need of storage can make their own arrangements with a local provider.   Residence halls close for graduating students at 4 p.m. on Commencement Day.  All students must make their travel arrangements accordingly. 

Still have questions? Contact Tiffany Varlaro in Residence Life at 315-655-7237 or tsvarlaro@cazenovia.edu.