May 10, 2021
In another step toward supporting a safe and healthy campus environment and building on the “Caz Strong” commitment, the College will require that all students and employees who plan to be on campus in the Fall 2021 semester be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The update to the College’s immunization requirements for students and employees follows guidance from the American College Health Association (ACHA).
The College is implementing the vaccination policy in support of an expanded and more interactive campus experience for students, faculty, and staff in the fall, subject to health and safety guidance at the time.
Under current guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and the New York State Department of Health, the potential benefits of required vaccinations for the community include:
- Expedited opportunities to reduce restrictions for students in College residences
- Lifting of mask requirements outdoors on campus, including campus sporting and programming events
- Opportunities for a wider range of events and activities with more people able to participate
- Expanded dining and recreation options
“The College administration is tremendously proud of how our students, staff, and community have successfully prevented serious outbreaks of COVID-19 over the past 15 months by adhering to strict health and safety standards through our “Caz Strong pledge,” College President Ron Chesbrough said. “We believe that this required vaccination policy will continue to protect our community while moving campus life back to more normal conditions, permitting greater interpersonal and collaborative activities and interactions for students, faculty, and staff as soon as feasible.”
- Proof of vaccination will be required for individuals returning to campus this fall, with any vaccine authorized for use in the U.S.—currently Moderna, Pfizer, and Johnson & Johnson. (It is understood that some incoming students may be under 18 years old, and so at this point are only eligible for the Pfizer vaccine.)
- Individuals may request an exemption from the vaccination requirement for medical or religious reasons. The process for requesting an exemption will be available in June.
- Vaccine requirements for Adult and Continuing Education students enrolled in programs at community college locations will be determined based on the status of instruction on each of those campuses. If students are attending one or more in-person classes at one of the community college locations in the fall, the Cazenovia College vaccination requirement will apply. More information will be posted on the Adult and Continuing Education webpage when it is available.
- The College will continue to monitor guidance issued by the Center for Disease Control as well as New York State and local public health agencies.
Questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination requirement can be sent to CazStrong@cazenovia.edu.