The Biology program leads to a Bachelor of Arts and provides students with a broad background in basic biological principles from the cellular and molecular levels through evolution and the functioning of ecosystems. As such, the biology curriculum provides the breadth of biological experience essential for a diversity of careers in the health fields, in basic biological research in the laboratory and field, in biology education, or in business and industry. The curriculum includes a set of core courses in science and hands-on learning opportunities.
Student Learning Goals:
- Provide students with an understanding of the breadth of biological fields
- Provide students with a solid foundation in biological, ecological and evolutionary principles that apply to all of biology
- Provide opportunities for laboratory or field research experiences
- Prepare students for a suite of potential biological careers
Students interested in biology may also choose to enroll in our Biology minor as a complement to a different major.
> Learn more about our Biology minor.
- Small class sizes equal a more interesting and interactive education. Professors get to know you as an individual and understand your particular career interests. Every lecture and laboratory is taught by a full-time faculty member who has earned a doctorate degree and been published in their field of expertise.
- Students who meet membership criteria have the opportunity to join the college's chapter of Beta Beta Beta, a national biological honor society.
- Students have the opportunity to help organize and run the annual BioBlitz and Science Night events for local community.
- Students have the option to join the student-run Health Care Club or any of the many other clubs on campus. Visit the Student clubs and Organizations web page for more information.
Management in biologically-based business or industry
If you are more interested in field work, ecology, and the environment you may be interested in our B.S. in Environmental Biology degree. Please click here for more information.
Program Advising Sheets for Biology Majors Preparing for:
- Medical Doctor (MD) (.pdf)
- M.S. in Occupational Therapy (OT) (.pdf)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) (.pdf)
- Physician Assistant (PA) (M.S. degree) (.pdf)
- Veterinary School (DVM) (.pdf)
Meet Our Faculty:
- Watch the Faculty Spotlight video with Dr. Emily Flynn, Assistant Biology Professor
- Watch the Faculty Spotlight video with Dr. Barb Hager, Biology Professor
- See what it's like to be an Environmental Biology student at Caz, follow Dr. Thad Yorks's classes on Instagram @dr._yorkss_courses
- View the Faculty Profiles for the Division of Humanities & Natural Sciences