The graduate degree is an academic degree awarded by the College to students who have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours of graduate study in a planned program. Cazenovia College offers the following graduate degree: Master of Science.

The baccalaureate degree is an academic degree awarded by the College to students who have completed a minimum of 120 credit hours of undergraduate study in a planned program including core general education requirements. Cazenovia College offers the following baccalaureate degrees: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Fine Arts, and Bachelor of Professional Studies.

The associate degree is an academic degree awarded by the College to students who have completed a minimum of 60 credit hours of undergraduate study in a planned program including core general education requirements. Cazenovia College offers the following associate degrees through the Center for Adult and Continuing Education: Associate in Arts, Associate in Applied Science, and Associate in Science.

In addition to completing general degree requirements, a student must choose a major field of study. Students entering Cazenovia College with an intended major may remain in that major as long as they satisfy the academic requirements specified by the program and remain in good academic standing overall.

A concentration or specialization (e.g., area of emphasis, track, option, pathway) is a subcollection of courses within a major area of an undergraduate or graduate program. For example, a student may pursue a B.F.A. in Visual Communications, but within that take an institution-defined concentration focus on Graphic Design, or a B.S. in Human Services with a concentration in Children and Youth. 

Concentrations and specializations require a minimum of 12 credits and usually no more then 24 credits of coursework.

Minors require a minimum of 18 credits of coursework, with one-third of those credits at the 300/400-level. The academic advisor will request the minor to be added for the student by completing a change form in the College's intranet system. The Enrollment Services Center will process it once it has been received.

It is recommended that students work closely with their academic advisors to declare minors as early as possible in order to ensure that all course requirements can be met. Students majoring in some disciplines may be prohibited from adding certain related minors; please see the minors page for more information:

Students who declare a minor and subsequently decided to no longer pursue coursework to fulfill that minor must work with their advisor to submit the change form in the College's intranet system to remove the minor.

Student Registration Procedure
Students attending Cazenovia College for the first time must have their final official high school transcript(s) and for transfer students, their official college transcripts, on file in the Admissions Office as soon as they are available and no later than  the start of their first semester.

New students register for classes after they have deposited with the College and after May 1. New students arriving spring semester register for classes via email, phone, or in person before the semester starts. New students are encouraged to communicate with their academic advisor via email prior to the start of the Fall semester.

Returning Student Registration Procedure
Continuing students register during the spring for the fall and summer semesters and during the fall for the winter, spring and summer semesters. Students must be in good academic and financial standing with the College in order to register.

A student might wish to audit a course out of a desire for personal enrichment, or to review a course previously completed in high school or at another college.

The vice president for Academic Affairs may grant a student permission to audit a course. Approval to audit a course is subject to capacity of that course. As an auditor, the student has the right to attend classes and participate in all of the activities of the class; there is no obligation to fulfill course requirements or to take examinations. Neither a grade nor credit is given for the course. (See Financial Services section for costs.)

Change in Advisor
The Registrar assigns advisors. A student may change his or her advisor by completing a change of advisor form obtained from the new academic advisor. This form must be returned to the Enrollment Services Center and approved by the Registrar prior to an official change of advisor.

Change in Classes (Drop/Add Procedures)
After registration but before the end of the Drop/Add period, an advisor’s approval must be obtained in order to add or drop a course or to change from one course to another. This can be completed using the College's Student Planning system. A course dropped during the drop/add period will not appear on student records.  

Change in Major/Double Major/Degree
A student may change his or her major by completing a change form. This form is signed electronically by the student and his or her advisor. The Enrollment Services Center will process it once it has been received. 

Students may pursue two degrees or degrees in two programs concurrently with the approval of the vice president for Academic Affairs. Students may also declare a double major, in which students earn the same degree (B.A., B.S., B.F.A., B.P.S.) in different disciplines. (This policy does not apply to dual majors listed in the Catalog.) Students may also pursue double concentrations or specializations.

Students are required to contact the Academic Program Director for each major in order to develop a path to graduation for concurrent enrollment. Students seeking double degrees/majors are required to successfully complete the degree requirements for each academic program. Students enrolled in double degrees are required to complete a Senior Capstone for each degree. Students enrolled in double majors within the same degree may be able to complete one Senior Capstone at the discretion of the Program Directors. Students may be able to decrease the number of cumulative credits required for a double degree/major by securing course waivers and/or substitutions. Waivers and/or substitutions are initiated with the student's academic advisor. 

Students must submit the declaration of dual major/degree/concentration/specialization form (available from their Advisor) to Academic Affairs for approval. 

Add/Drop Period
Normally, the first six business days of the semester are used for add/drop where a student can add or drop any class without academic or financial penalty. Please check the academic calendar for the dates of the add/drop period.

Course Withdrawal
A student who withdraws after the Drop/Add period will have the enrollment and withdrawal entered on the transcript together with the notation "W". Course withdrawals are ordinarily not permitted after the posted withdrawal deadline. For courses that are less than a full semester, please be sure to consult with the Enrollment Services Center for a withdrawal deadline. A student who stops attending without requesting an official withdrawal, will not be automatically withdrawn from their course(s) and will receive their earned grade from completed coursework. 

Repeating a Course
A student may repeat a course in which they received an “F” until the course is successfully completed. In those cases where credit was awarded, the higher grade earned is the only grade entered in the computation of the grade point average, but the original attempt and grade will remain on the student’s official transcript.

Certain courses may be repeated for credit up to two times.  Those courses are so identified in the course descriptions found here:

If a student is eligible for Title IV funding, i.e. Federal PELL or SEOG grants, and any Federal Direct Loan, they may repeat a successfully completed course only once. Additional retakes of a completed course will result in the loss of the student’s Federal funding, if eligible.