Cazenovia College takes students to Canterbury, England for a semester-long study abroad program during the Fall term. By participating in the Canterbury Program, Cazenovia students will live in, study, and explore the same city that inspired Geoffrey Chaucer's great work of literature, The Canterbury Tales.
Inside the classroom, students will study an extensive variety of subject matter, including English literature and the history of Great Britain. Outside the classroom, the learning continues as students visit the very places they are studying. Canterbury Cathedral, Canterbury Tales Museum, the Roman Museum, and Norman Castle are just a few of the historical landmarks students may visit.
The river that flows through Canterbury and the city's numerous parks, such as Dane John Gardens, provide countryside-like getaways within the city. Canterbury is also home to great shopping both in the award-winning Whitefriars Shopping Centre and in the historic King's Mile district. Canterbury's weekly markets and wealth of cafes and pubs offer students the opportunity to savor local customs. Students can easily extend their cultural and historical learning experience beyond Canterbury as London, with its transportation hubs, is less than an hour away by train.
About the Program
The Canterbury Program is a cooperative program between Cazenovia College and Canterbury Christ Church University (CCCU). Students participating in the Canterbury study abroad program will take classes at CCCU. CCCU’s Canterbury campus is the largest of its five campuses and an hour away from London by train. A World Heritage Site and home to England’s oldest cathedral, the city of Canterbury provides an endless source of historical, architectural and cultural inspiration.
This international study experience takes place during the fall semester and is designed primarily for students who are in their junior year, though students who are sophomores and seniors can also participate. The program is selective and students must complete an application process. The continued operation of Canterbury Study Abroad Program is subject to sufficient student interest and other factors that might affect the student experience abroad.
UCCC is located on the Southeast corner of the United Kingdom in Western Europe.
Those who participate in the Canterbury Program remain registered Cazenovia College students and must enroll in OS-301-01—Overseas Study. The 13 hour course load taken by all students who participate in the Canterbury Program includes 4 courses of 3 credit through Canterbury Christ Church University, plus a 1 semester hour class taught by the Cazenovia College study abroad faculty mentor.
- Divided by a Common Language (3 credit hours) – a comparative study of contemporary Britain and the USA;
- Sites and Sights (3 credit hours) - exploring Britain's history and culture;
- Two additional courses selected from the CCCU curriculum that satisfy Cazenovia College degree requirements. Previous choices have included Ethics, World Religions or American Modernism (3 credit hours each), and;
Courses taken during this program fulfill Major course requirements, General Education requirements or electives.
Cost and Aid
Students who participate will be required to purchase round trip airfare and travel insurance as part of a group travel purchase. If a student chooses to cancel their application or withdraw from the program, the following conditions will apply:
Deposit and Airfare Reimbursement
- To secure a spot in the program, students will be required to pay a $1200 deposit to Cazenovia College’s Business Office.
- The deposit is refundable to students who need to withdraw or are deemed ineligible for other reasons. A full refund will be issued up until the travel agent’s airfare deposit deadline (usually the first week of June).
- The deposit can be refunded with a $200 fee withheld to students who withdraw between the airfare deposit deadline and the final payment deadline.
- The deposit is non-refundable to students who withdraw from the program after the airfare payment deadline (typically July 1st) or those who do not cancel or withdraw their enrollment upon arrival in the United Kingdom.
Notice of Cancellation or Withdrawal Policy:
If a student withdraws from the Canterbury Study Abroad Program after they arrive in the UK, there may still be significant charges applied for the semester. These policies apply to all tuition and room & board paid for the semester abroad. The following are policies set by CCCU, and are not subject to change or negotiation by Cazenovia College.
- More than 21 days before Arrival Date: Not chargeable/Full refund
- Less than 21 days before Arrival Date: £250 cancellation fee
- After Arrival Date: No refund applicable
In the event that a student is cancelling or withdrawing due to extenuating circumstances, a decision on any refund claim will be made by the Director of International Partnerships and Development at CCCU on a case by case basis.
Cazenovia Grants and Scholarship Aid
All Cazenovia College scholarships, grants and other financial aid arrangements remain in place.
Those students who participate in the Canterbury Program will live in assigned Canterbury Christ Church University student housing and will take most of their meals at the Canterbury Christ Church University dining hall. Students will be provided with funding on a debit card that can be used for food in the CCCU dining hall or elsewhere in the city of Canterbury.
Housing and Dining
In addition to a valid Passport, students will also need a Canterbury Christ Church University student ID card. In order for the cards to be prepared by the time students arrive, participants must respond to the CCCU emails and pre-register online by the deadline provided.
Currently, a student visitor who is a U.S. citizen living in the U.S. is not required to have a visa to live in the United Kingdom if the duration of the stay will be less than 6 months.
Canterbury Christ Church University
From the U.S.: 011 44 1227 767700
From England: 01227 767700
24 Grosvenor Square
London, W1A 2LQ
From the U.S.: 011 44 20 7499 9000
From England: 0 20 7499 9000