At a Glance
The Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC) is an important professional in the addiction field. Cazenovia College is approved to offer the 350 clock hours of the Education and Training requirement for the CASAC credentialing. The 350 clock hours are offered as a certificate program in Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counseling for which students earn college academic credit. The coursework can be completed entirely online, on campus, or through a combination of both methods.
Successful completion of the courses required for the Certificate in Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counseling allow students to meet the education and training requirements for the CASAC-T.
Courses for CASAC Certificate
All courses must be completed:
HS 134 Introduction to Alcohol and Substance Abuse
HS 240 Introduction to Counseling
HS 330 Ethical Issues in Substance Abuse Treatment
HS 331 Group Dynamics
HS 344 Intervention Strategies for Alcohol and Substance Abuse
HS 345 Counseling Families in Crisis
HS 384 Alcohol and Substance Abuse Internship
HS 431 Rehabilitation Services
SB 265 Alcohol and Other Drugs in Modern Society
My experience with Cazenovia College online courses was wonderful. The online format is user friendly, accessible and efficient.
Gina Hobika, CASAC program graduate
- Part-Time Tuition
2020-21 Tuition per credit hour: $290
Total tuition for a 3-credit course: $870
*Students may receive financial aid for the CASAC classes if they are concurrently enrolled in a Cazenovia College degree program.
- Students can apply online to the Center for Adult & Continuing Education. When applying, select the option to apply for a Certificate Program in Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counseling.
[ Apply to the Center for Adult & Continuing Education ]
Students alternatively have the option to Download and complete the Continuing Education Application Form (pdf).
Once accepted, students will be assigned an Academic Advisor who will assist with course registration.
To drop or withdraw from a course, students must contact their Academic Advisor or submit a written request to the Center for Adult & Continuing Education at ContinuingEducation@cazenovia.edu.
- Students who complete the 350 hours of education and training through OASAS Certified Education and Training Providers are eligible to submit the CASAC/CASAC-Trainee application for approval to the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS). Cazenovia College does not grant the OASAS credentialing.** All students must submit a Certificate of Completion to OASAS and complete the CASAC/CASAC-Trainee application. Credentialing will be determined by OASAS.
From the OASAS Website:
The New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) is committed to enhancing the quality of services in New York State through the professional development of the alcoholism and substance abuse services workforce. To ensure that counselors who provide direct care in alcoholism and substance abuse programs are competent and ethical in their work and skilled in meeting the needs of today’s society, OASAS issues a professional credential, CASAC, to individuals who meet specific eligibility requirements and pass an examination.
In order to become a CASAC in New York State, you must:
- meet specific competency and ethical conduct requirements;
- meet specific work experience requirements;
- meet minimum education and training requirements; and
- pass the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC) Examination for Alcohol and Drug Counselors.
CASAC certification is specifically designed for individuals to work in an area related to alcohol and substance abuse treatment. With a NYS CASAC, one could work in an inpatient rehabilitation center, a halfway house, an outpatient addiction program, an assessment and referral program or in adolescent treatment.
For more information about CASAC, please visit the OASAS website.
**This program does not lead to professional licensure. Students in the internship course are not completing tasks that are restricted to licensed professionals.
Questions? Call or email us!
If you have any questions or would like additional information, contact the Center for Adult & Continuing Education at ContinuingEducation@cazenovia.edu or call 315.655.7288.