Below are the answers to commonly asked questions about housing. Resident students should refer to the Student Handbook, Housing Agreement and Student Life web pages for complete information about College Regulations.

Do I have to live on campus? (Residential Requirements)

All full-time matriculated freshmen, sophomores and juniors (under 90 credits) are required to live in College residential facilities, except for those students who live within commuting distance (25 mile radius) and reside with parents/legal guardians, in their primary residence.  Some scholarships have residency requirements.

"Full-time" is defined as maintaining at least twelve (12) credit hours per semester.  A student must be enrolled full-time and maintain at least the equivalent of 12 credit hours per semester to live in College-owned or leased housing.  If a student drops below 12 credits s/he must obtain the approval of the Assistant Dean for Student Life to remain in campus housing.

Can I have a pet?

Pets are not allowed in student rooms.  The only exceptions are service/support animals and legal fish. Pets that are in violation of this policy will be removed from the building immediately and students in violation of this policy will be subject to disciplinary action and be held responsible for any fees related to the removal, damages and/or cleaning fines of the pet in question.

The College will reasonably accommodate persons with disabilities who require the assistance of Service or Support Animals, as appropriate. The Office of Special Services, working in conjunction with the Health & Counseling Office and the Office of Student Life, is responsible for evaluating requests on a case‐by‐case basis.  Incoming residential students must submit their request with their initial housing application by August 1st.  Returning residential students must submit requests by the indicated fall special housing accommodations date for the following academic year. Spring semester requests are due no later than November 1st.

All requests are subject to review and require current documentation as outlined in the Service and Support Animal Policy. While requests made after the designated deadline will be accepted and considered, there is no guarantee that Cazenovia College will be able to meet late applicants’ accommodation request, including any needs that develop during the semester. To make a request, students must contact the Director of Special Services and provide appropriate and timely documentation as outlined in the policy.

Service and Support Animal Policy & Guidelines (pdf)

What appliances and electrical equipment can I have in my room?

Appliances and electrical equipment can overload the electrical capacity of residence halls and can cause serious electrical fires, wire damage, and blackouts. The following guidelines should be followed to insure safe use of electrical outlets. Staff perform routine safety checks and will confiscate items in violation.

  • All electrical items must be Underwriters Laboratory Approved and in good operating condition.
  • Power strips are allowed, provided they contain built-in circuit breakers. Power strips may not be plugged into other power strips.
  • Extension cords are not permitted.
  • Small appliances with exposed heating elements (i.e. some types of coffee pots, hot pots, hot plates, George Foreman grills, etc.) are not permitted in the residence halls. Cooking in rooms and hallways is not permitted by state regulations. Students are encouraged to use common residence cooking areas for the preparation of food.
  • Only one appliance per outlet may be used.
  • Due to electrical draw, refrigerators are limited in size to cube style, up to 1.7 cubic foot dimension units. Refrigerators must be plugged directly into a wall socket. Refrigerators must be placed in an area where they are properly ventilated (not in closets).
  • Halogen lamps are not permitted.
  • Candles, incense and open flames are not permitted in the residence halls.
  • Personal grills are not permitted in residential facilities or on College property.
  • Decorative string lights are not permitted in student rooms under any circumstances.

How loud are the residential facilities?

It is expected that every resident and guest in the residence halls maintain a noise level so as to not disturb their neighbors.

As members of the Cazenovia College and Village communities, it is essential that everyone respect the needs and rights of others in these communities. It is never appropriate to blast music or scream from windows. Audio speakers may not be pointed out of windows at any time. If necessary, the College may mandate 24 hour Quiet Hours at any time during the school year [Village Commons is an exception to this policy as that building requires 24/7 Quiet Hours in effect every day.]

Can I have guests visit?

At present time no guests or visitors are permitted.  This includes individuals from off campus as well as students visiting between rooms in their own or others’ residences.

Can I stay on campus over College breaks?

Residential facilities are closed and card swipes are deactivated during official College vacations including Thanksgiving Break, Winter Intersession and Spring Break. These periods are not included in the Housing Agreement. A resident occupying their room during a break period without authorization is subject to a fine and immediate removal from the residential facility. Under special circumstances, in order to minimize the number of facilities in use for the purpose of conserving energy and reducing operating expenses, the College reserves the right to temporarily reassign students required to be on campus during vacation periods. If a student requires housing during periods when the halls are closed, and they obtained approval form the Office of Student Life, they may be assigned to live in the area(s) denoted for Break housing.

When the residence halls close for official College vacations, all students must vacate their rooms no later than 24 hours after completion of their last academic commitment or as designated by the Office of Student Life.

Students will not be allowed in the residential facilities while they are closed for vacations.

What about telephone and internet access?

Each room is equipped with Internet access. In addition, Cazenovia College provides upon request, Session Initiated Protocol (SIP) telephone adaptors on loan via a loan agreement. The SIP adaptors allow access to telephone and voicemail service, upon activation by contacting Information and Communications Technology.  Residents are responsible for providing and repairing their own room telephone in the residence halls, should they want a phone.  The telephone must be a single‑line, touch tone phone.

Can a college official enter my room?

If it is deemed necessary in aid of the basic responsibilities of the institution regarding safety, discipline and the maintenance of an educational environment, a room may be searched and the occupant(s) required to open personal belongings including but not limited to drawers, closets, refrigerators, suitcases, etc., for inspection.

What happens if something is damaged?

With your cooperation, our campus and its residences will continue to be safe, attractive, and enjoyable. Any existing damages must be listed on the “Room/Suite/Apartment Condition Report,” and should be filled out within 1 week of  move in. Students are held responsible for damages they cause to the room, the room’s contents, and damages made in public areas of the residences. Students are also responsible for damages in these areas that have been caused by their guests.

The College will not raise housing charges for all students in order to pay for damages in common areas (stairwells, hallways, bathrooms, lobby, and recreation rooms). Rather, it will bill those members of a living area (apartment, suite, wing, floor, building) when the responsible individual(s) is not identified.

It is the responsibility of all residents to exercise their influence in their community to prevent damage or require responsible individuals to pay. Excessive damages to rooms or areas may result in disciplinary action and possible non-renewal of the housing contract.

Damage Billing document (pdf)

What if I need something repaired?

The maintenance staff is available 24 hours a day. This staff is responsible for the maintenance of all campus buildings and grounds. Emergency repairs should be reported to Campus Services at 315-655-7227 on Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. During after-hours and weekends, please contact Campus Safety at 315-655-7271.

Non-emergency repairs can be reported by submitting a "footprint" to Campus Services on myCaz.

What is the process for checking in?

New and returning students should arrive as notified to complete the check-in process. Unless otherwise approved by the Office of Student Life, no student may move into the residential facilities before their designated date. Upon initial check-in, all residential students are required to inspect their assigned space and complete a Room/Suite/Apartment Condition Report (RCR) of the furnishings and condition of the space. An RCR must be completed each time a student moves into or out of a residential facility room. Failure to do so will result in loss of appeal rights for damage charges. The resident(s) of the space assigned shall be responsible for any loss, damage, repair or replacement of the furnishings and the conditions of the space during the term of occupancy.

What is the process for checking out?

Failure to check out of your room in a proper manner will result in an improper check-out charge.

When vacating your residential space, all trash should be taken to the designated trash room; rooms should be cleaned and vacuumed by the resident(s).  Failure to do so and/or failure to leave the room in an acceptable condition will result in monetary charges equally divided between each resident and/or forfeiture of their room choice within the College for the subsequent year. Keys must be turned in by the student to a staff member upon check out.

If the public areas in the hall (i.e. lounges, hallways, etc.) are left in disrepair, a charge for returning the public area to its original condition will be equally divided among all residents in that hall area.  All personal belongings must be removed from the assigned space upon departure.  All personal belongings not removed from the assigned space within 10 days of departure (either through voluntary separation or dismissal), will be disposed of by the College.

The College will not assume responsibility for belongings left in the assigned space/hallway, or any other College property.

Students not completing degree requirements in the spring must vacate their residential space no later than 24 hours after their last academic commitment.

The College does not provide summer storage of any kind.  Students in need of storage can make their own arrangements with a local provider.   Residence halls close for graduating students at 4 p.m. on Commencement Day.  All students must make their travel arrangements accordingly.

Still have questions? Contact the Office of Student Life at 315-655-7237.