Physical exam – Completed page 2 of Medical Form
  Health history – Completed page 1 of Medical Form including signature
  Immunization records – Completed and signed Immunization Form
  Health Insurance – completed online waiver form or enrollment in the College’s Student Health Plan
  Meningitis Response Form signed
  Sports physical if new to athletics and last exam was over six months ago


Physical Exam

Required of all newly admitted students, the physical exam must have been completed within 1 year of starting classes.

First Year Athletes playing an NCAA sport need to have a physical within 6 months of starting the sport and then a history update annually thereafter.

Students in Daycare, Equine, Education, and Human Service internships may need a yearly health clearance and TB test as directed by the adviser for the program.

  1. Can I use my sports physical done in the high school? No. If not done by your own provider, physicals are available on campus. Physicals cost $60 for non-residential students.
  2. Can I use my physical from the last college? Yes, unless you have taken semesters off before transferring.
  3. Can I get a physical at the college? Yes, the charge is $60 for non-residential students. Sports physicals are $50 for non-residential students.

Health History Form

Page one of the medical form includes identifying information, emergency numbers, the health history, and authorization for emergency treatment. This form must contain a signature at the very bottom of the sheet. Parental signature is required if the student is under 18 upon arrival to campus.

  1. Do I have to use the college's form? No, not if the form used includes all of the above information.

Immunization Records

This portion of the medical record is mandatory and will delay registration or program participation and result in dismissal from class if not received according to the State Health Department guidelines. A doctor or a nurse should complete and sign the College’s form or attach copies of official records. Family doctors, schools, and the military are places maintaining shot records.

  • Mandatory by NY State Law:
    • 2 measles shots, 1 mumps shot, 1 rubella shot OR 2 MMRs
    • Blood tests showing immunity are also acceptable
    • Students born before 1/1/57 are exempt
  • Required by the Institution:
    • Tetanus shot – done within 10 years
    • Polio series - completed as a child
    • TB test - done within 1 year of starting classes if student is foreign-born or from an identified high-risk population
    • Hepatitis B series – 3 shots given over 6 months (may be completed at college with prior notice)
  • Recommended by the Institution:
    • Varicella – to be considered by persons who have never had chickenpox
    • Meningitis – This should be discussed with the health care provider. An information sheet is included in the Admissions packet.
  1. Where can I get my records? High schools, military services, family doctors, baby books and prior colleges attended.
  2. What if I can’t find any records? The mandatory shots will have to be repeated or blood tests performed to check for immunity.
  3. What if I object to getting shots? Unless there is a physician-documented medical reason or documented religious exemption acceptable to the state, you will be required to comply before starting classes.
  4. Can I get my shots at college? Yes, the costs are outlined below.
    • TB test - no charge;
    • Flu shot - billed to insurance;
    • MMR, varicella, meningitis available at the Madison County Health Department Immunization Clinic
  5. What if I can’t afford the mandatory and required shots? Arrangements can be made to receive them through your County Health Department or through Madison County for $24 once at college. Some vaccines are not available through the county programs.

Health Insurance

Health insurance is required of all full-time students attending Cazenovia College. An online waiver form for August entrants must be completed before July 31 and for January entrants by January 7.

A basic Student Plan is offered through the College and students will receive enrollment information by May 1. The cost is $2,591 for the 2018-19 year (to be adjusted in 2019-2020) for August entrants. The fees are pro-rated for January entrants for coverage from January 1 - August 17, 2019. Brochures are available from the Health Office or on the company's website at Once on the Gallagher website, go to 'My Benefits and Plan Information' under 'My Student Health Insurance Plan' to download the brochures.

  1. Will my own insurance cover me at college? Probably, but there may be restrictions. You should call the insurance company directly. Many companies require proof of enrollment as a full-time student. A letter is available from the Registrar once classes begin. Kinney Drugs is adjacent to campus and Rite Aid is 3/4 of a mile away.
  2. What if I can’t afford health insurance? The College offers a basic option or students may call their county Social Services office about Medicaid or other supported health plans. Child or Family Health Plus may be another option for NY residents. The phone # is 1-800-698-4543. You may go to for information on New York State’s health insurance marketplace (state exchange).


Office Visits

  1. Is there a charge to see a nurse at the Health Center? No. Unlimited office visits are provided to see the RN or Nurse Practitioner regardless of insurance coverage. Additional charges may be incurred if lab testing, vaccines or prescriptions  are warranted.  All fees are discussed with students prior to services being rendered. A schedule of fees is posted in the office.
  2. What if I get sick or hurt after the Health Center is closed? If a medical emergency occurs after hours, Campus Safety, Athletic or Residence Life staff will assist with arrangements. CAVAC is Cazenovia's local ambulance service located 1 mile from campus. For non-emergency medical needs occurring after hours, Campus Safety, Athletics or Residence Life staff will assist the student in making a decision about seeking care. Staff may consult with the nurse practitioner on call.


Health records of all patients are protected by law. Patients 18 and older must provide written authorization for information to be released. (Authorization by phone may be permissible in cases not involving records release). Restrictions on release of information may apply to minors in some cases.

  1. Can my parents or teachers get information about me if they call? No, unless permission has been given by the student. If a parent calls the office, every attempt will be made to contact the student for permission, which will be noted in the medical record. In the event of serious or life-threatening conditions, staff may notify a parent or guardian.

Records Transfer

The Health Center provides fax and phone access for release or transfer of health information. There is no charge for this service.

  1. How do I get my records transferred to or from another school/provider? A written authorization is required to transfer or relay health information to other providers, agencies, schools or school administrators. Release forms must be signed by the patient in all cases unless under 18 where parent signature is required.


All questions and requests for information can be directed to the Health Service staff by calling 315-655-7122 or 315-655-7207.  Voice mail is available.  The fax # is 315-655-4724.

Hours of Operation
Fall/Spring Term:
Monday - Friday, 8:45 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Semester Break and Summer:
Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - noon

Director, Nurse Practitioner
Kathryn Dolan, FNP
Registered Nurse
Robyn Bushneck, RN
Medical Secretary
Tina McPherson